Sunday, May 6, 2012

Repair Session

Sunday workout from 2 to 6 was mostly spent restructuring the ring. We spent a good 3 hours doing that today. I don't really mind; my body was pretty much rested for today's session but I appreciate a little more time to recuperate. Besides, part of being a wrestler is taking care of the ring, breaking it apart, moving it, and rebuilding it. It's good to know to ins-and-outs of all aspects. The last hour we spent mostly doing things I've done before, and building on them. I'd taken clotheslines, but never given them; same with hip tosses and scoop slams. As they say, it is better to give than receive.

I much more enjoy learning and practicing moves and techniques, but I certainly understand the need for conditioning and cardio. What's the use of knowing an arsenal of wrestling moves if you give three in a row and then have to powder out? I like the mix-up we do, and the fact that we tend to do the same basic exercises almost every time. If I'm not comfortable doing a flip bump, I'm sure as hell not going to be comfortable getting suplexed. Before I ever enter the ring in front of a crowd, I need to have the basics entrenched so deeply into my movements that I don't have to stop and think about it before they are executed. When I'm being hip tossed I don't want to have to consider "wait, do I put my hand here, or here, or OH GOD MY BACK."

More than anything, I'm proud of myself for not holding back. Three weeks ago if you had asked me if I was comfortable enough to flip around and land on my back without half-assing it, I would've said no. I was never the kid to take unnecessary risks. But I love this environment, and the people I train with. First I'll watch the motion. Then, I'll walk through it. Then, I just fuckin do it. That's really the only way you can learn. As long as I listen and do exactly what I've been shown and told, it's very unlikely I'll hurt myself. Sure, I'm sore all the time, but that's my body catching up with the fact I've never had a consistent serious workout program for more than a week. I've noticed a change for the better in my body; even Bridgette felt my stomach while I was laying on the bed and could tell it was harder. I've always tried to tell her there's rock-hard abs under this thin layer of fat.

There was only 5 of us trainees, Jastin the trainer, and Fred the owner today. Hopefully we'll see a better turn out Tuesday. Hopefully you'll read my next post, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment