Monday, April 16, 2012

The Beginning

So, let's start at the beginning. That seems like a logical place, yes?

If you are reading this, you most likely know me; at least to some degree. One well-known fact about me is that I enjoy professional wrestling. One lesser-known fact is that I have, in the past, seriously considered moving to San Antonio to attend a very prestigious wrestling academy. However, due to lack of money, and...well, motivation, I clearly never did that. I always knew it was a pipe dream; I'm hardly the type to get up and make an immediate and drastic change. I guess that's why I surprised even myself when I up and moved the two of us to Odessa, away from my hometown of 24 years.

I came here for my job. I worked at Chuck E. Cheese in Abilene for a little over a year at the bottom rung: promised everything, but given nothing. I enjoyed the people I worked with, but I knew I was going nowhere. In need of money I went back to my old job at Aaron's. I knew I'd go nowhere there either, but I'd get paid more doing it. Not two months after I went back, I was told of an open position in Midland. I applied, got the interview, and got the job. Three weeks later we were moved into a new home. Obviously my "mission" to become a wrestler got put back on an even farther burner.

Then, 5 days ago, Bridgette told me she had heard an ad on the radio for a local wrestling show. I looked it up, and sure enough, there was one two days from then. I immediately bought the tickets, and that Friday we went. I was very impressed by the quality of the show. To think, two days earlier I had no idea this organization had even existed. I knew immediately that I wanted to be a part of Odessa's own Old School Wrestling.

I spoke with one of the performers at intermission and learned the name of the guy in charge. I found him on Facebook, added him, and expressed my interest. He gave his number and told me to call him. On my way home from work today, I did. He left a very good impression on me. Fred was very down-to-earth. He wanted to create an organization free of backstage politics; a close-knit family of performers. They've just gotten a new building and they're in the process of moving into it. He name-dropped a few wrestlers he anticipates to work with in the future, but he didn't do it in such a way that he sounded like he was simply trying to impress me. He was very honest, speaking of the bad as much as the good. This is encouraging to me.

He invited me to come check out the facilities and work out with them this Thursday. I will do so. I expect to be shown exactly how out of shape I am. I also anticipate loving every second of it. I always told myself that I have no way of knowing if I have any talent or ability for wrestling until I tried. I also knew that if I never gave it a fair shake, I'd regret it the rest of my life. This blog may only have two entries: this and another saying "haha fuck that, never mind." Then again, this may become a long series of what I go through on a weekly basis as I train my body and perfect my in-ring skills. Maybe I'll be inviting my friends and family to my debut performance. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. So glad for you. :) Great idea, and I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have always told you that you could do whatever you put your mind to. I went to acting classes and spent 4 years doing what made me happy. Nothing is sadder than the old guy who thinks he could've been a contender, but he never tried. Break a leg, or um, a sweat!

    ReplyDelete